"I will not die an unlived life;
I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid,
More accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance,
To live so that which came to me as seed goes to the next as blossom,
And that which came to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."
Living Wide Open: Landscapes of the Mind Published in I Will Not Die an Unlived Lifeby Dawna Markova
Not a strong wind, nor a surge of pressure, nor a fit of passion, nor anything,
' WELLNESS '....what does this word mean to you? What are the images, thoughts that come to mind? Perhaps you relate it to one or several of the following dimensions:
Physical Dimension: a state of being free from illness, being in good health , feeling " well ", practicing good healthy habits; being able to do all you desire or need to, without physical restraints or limitations.
Emotional Dimension: feeling positive and enthusiastic about ones-self, ones' decisions, goals, sense of contentment, fulfillment, having peace, love, joy in our lives and our attitudes; cultivating and experiencing positive, loving relationships.
Mental Dimension: engaged in activities that bring personal gratification and fulfillment, You can feel good in mind by , learning more, making firm positive decisions, intellectual wellness, stress management, critical thinking, clearing your past to gain freedom from guilt, shame, insecurity, fear etc
Spiritual Dimension: seeking meaning and purpose in human existence. It could involve seeking answers to philosophical questions, such as: "Why am I here?" and "What is life about?" For some, faith in a personal God provides answers; for others, organized religion and then for others, introspection as well as being in touch with nature and their environment/universe helps to provide answers.
'Wellness’ is a holistic concept and one of balance; encompassing the 'whole' person and all aspects of their life. It seemed to be unanimous with most, that keeping these aspects balanced can be like a juggling act and if just one dimension is out of balance, it will upset the others. In daily life it can be an ongoing conscientious struggle to achieve this balance.
Balance is a universal law and for things to function properly there must be equilibrium.
Three examples are:1) nature exists in balanced ecosystems; 2) the planetary system with its gravitation and rotation and specifically for we earthlings, that we neither freeze to death nor burn up because we are just the right distance from the sun 3) the human body works best when our systems are balanced, if not, it is called illness.
We are all familiar to one degree or another with the results of imbalance in our lives: burnout, conflicts in relationships, a disorganized environment, fatigue, frustration, illness, insomnia, lack luster, no fun, not creating or expressing oneself fully, overwork, not enough money, no spiritual life etc.
Wellness is about TOTAL YOU; but it is not achieved by accident...just picking the dimension of wellness that you like and minimizing the others doesn't work in the long run. Optimal lifestyle wellness begins with a conscious, intentional decision/choice to assume responsibility for the quality of your life. It may mean raising your standards above what you have been comfortable with; it will require time, commitment, energy, motivation and attitude.
" We are constantly advancing, like explorers, into the unknown, which makes life an adventure all the way " Eleanor Roosevelt
We all have tried many times in different ways to tackle and manage the imbalances in our lives; sometime however, unsuccessfully or not completely. Encouragement, accountability and knowledge are often lacking. A Coach helps you discover/unearth who you are, where you are at and where you want to go and to create sustainable, healthy changes in your life with resources, tools and insights and a strong partnership with you. It is like running a race with a relay partner whereby your time and results are maximized while your efforts are halved.
BENEFITS FOR YOU THROUGH LIFESTYLE - WELLNESS COACHING:
A real action plan that supports your overall health:
* Feeling more "at home" in your body, increased immunity and physical well-being ( improved muscle tone, strength, flexibility and endurance )
*Prevent or delay the premature onset of some forms of chronic disease
* Strengthening your personal foundation and implementation of regular self-care practices: "It takes courage to demand time for yourself. At first glance, it may seem to be the ultimate in selfishness, a real slap in the face to those who love and depend on you. It's not. It means you care enough to want to see the best in yourself and give only the best to others. It is silent recognition that your obligation to them is to give your best, and nothing less." -Shale Paul in The Warrior Within
*Increased self-respect, growth in confidence:"The act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing with new eyes" -Marcel Proust
* Moving from a place of stress and overwhelm, to simplicity, balance ."Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." - Eddie Cantor
"There is no power on earth that can neutralize the influence of a high, simple and useful life." Booker T. Washington
* A heightened sense of energy and vitality = increased productivity in tasks and work
* Live your life fully engaged in what excites you: " ...Ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - source unknown
* Risking adventures in new areas only before dreamed of: You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" - George Bernard Shaw
* Discovering the true spirit of who you really are and the gifts you have to contribute to the world around you: "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - source unknown
* A life style that honors you and your values (being true to yourself) "This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, Thou cans't not be false to any man " - Shakespeare
* Knowing how to have fun, to play and making time to do it : "And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Kahil Gibran
[My favourite chuckle: " Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing "]
© Lori Clinch Adams, 2003-2011